So, it’s done. The 5 day fast from all un-work-related media and bread/sweets has been completed. Just like in years past, I feel like I’m emerging from Seek Week as a changed woman.
It’s weird, but I’m sad it’s over. There’s something so sweet about having quiet… having space… in my life to focus on God. I felt like the removal of social media and texting also freed me up to have more space for real relationship. You know, the kind where you’re actually talking to people.
Here are some of the awesome things that happened during Seek Week:
– I was reminded that God really does speak to me when I give him space to do so.
– God showed me his compassionate heart for others.
– I joined an amazing Bible study that I otherwise would have passed on.
– God revealed more of His character… always pursuing relationship with us, always loving, and always fighting to keep my focus from things that do me harm.
– I visited with people in a less rushed way. I felt like I was able to be more present. Friends actually stopped-by and I used my phone for calling people instead of just texting all of the time.
– I enjoyed Luca more than I ever have. I didn’t feel anxious to get things done. I just focused on him and the gift that he is to us.
– My faith was strengthened tremendously. I was reminded of all the reasons why I know Him to be real. The startling, undeniable evidence of Jesus’ birth, life and resurrection was refreshed. I just want to tell everyone I love about it!
By the end of the week, it wasn’t just my life that I liked more, it was ME that I liked more. I was less self-centered. Less anxious. Less pre-occupied with unimportant things. (Like, do I really need to post/instagram/tweet about this moment?? No. Surprisingly, life goes on perfectly fine without telling everyone about it.)
You know what it was? I was present.
Now the trick is to figure-out how to maintain this new way of being. No easy task. With so much noise in this world it’s hard to stay focused on the things that really matter. I intend to come-up with some kind of plan though. I know that this is something I’ll have to fight for.
Seriously. We were just watching football today (Go Aggies) and it was so overwhelming… especially the commercials. Ugh. I just felt, I don’t know… invaded. Like, our once quiet, spirit-filled home was now permeated with materialism and machismo. I wasn’t really a fan of that, though the chips and guac were delicious. Ok, but really….
How do you stay focused on what is important in your life? Do you have any tricks or words of encouragement for me? I have some ideas but yours would be much appreciated!
- Seek Week: Day 2 (Or I Swear I Don’t Have Delusional Disorder) (kindacrunchy.com)
- Bible Studies in Kampung Speu (cambodia24seven.wordpress.com)